The Land Accelerator is always seeking amazing folks to join our network of mentors. You can be located anywhere in the world, as most of our mentorship occurs virtually.
However, we also invite members of our mentor network who are located in Delhi, Mexico City, or Nairobi, to join us at our Land Accelerator in-person workshops once COVID-19 becomes under control. Mentorship opportunities with the Land Accelerator are pro-bono opportunities to share your knowledge and experience with others.
Responsibilities of a mentor
Impact of Mentorship
As a mentor, you will form an integral part in supporting land restoration entrepreneurs. You will be involved with:
- Vetting and providing input on which entrepreneurs will be invited to join the Land Accelerator program
- Identifying weaknesses and strengths in the business plan
- Guiding entrepreneurs as they seek investments
- Sharing resources (links, knowledge, contacts) with entrepreneurs
- Participate in two-five 90-minute mentorship calls. You select which entrepreneurs you will support.
- If in the area, you are invited to attend specific sessions of the Land Accelerator.
- Optionally, you can identify your ability or interest to lead a webinar or serve on a panel on specific topics.
- Invite 1-3 other people to join as a mentor.
Mentorship Call Structure
- WRI will organize one mentorship call for each entrepreneur
- This is a 90-minute call where 3-5 mentors join in to give feedback and ask questions about the business
- Mentors can select which entrepreneur they’d like to advise (2-5 are suggested)
- The entrepreneur will prepare a slide deck or business plan for mentors to review ahead of time
- Mentors will jump on the call prepared to give feedback and ask questions
- Mentors will fill out a form afterwards which will deliver written feedback to the entrepreneurs
- Entrepreneurs are encouraged to reach out as needed to mentors
- Mentors are encouraged to respond to the entrepreneurs
Selection of Main Mentors
After the mentorship calls, the enterepreneurs will be encouraged to provide input as to which entrepreneur they’d like to invite to be their main mentor. WRI will send the invitations to the mentors, which a mentor may accept or decline. If accepted, then the mentorship match has been made. The responsibilities involved with becoming a Main Mentor of a Land Accelerator Company are:
- On the first main mentor meeting, go over the goals and milestone plan the entrepreneur will present to you. The goals is to revise and improve the milestone plan. This will form a roadmap for the following four months of interaction between you and the company.
- Jump on at least one check-in call each month for a total of four months.
- Be open to ad hoc requests from the entrepreneur for advice and guidance.
For even more details about how you can become a mentor to a land restoration entrepreneur, please download our informative slide deck below. You can also watch our five-minute introductory video we recording for our current group of mentors.